No income from your blogging yet? Should you file a tax return?

November 21st, 2011 → 2:00 pm @ // One Comment


I don’t have any income from my blogging yet. Do I still file a tax return for it?


Maybe! Or maybe you want to wait.

A blogger can file a Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business with their personal Form 1040 and claim their legitimate business expenses, but it looks fishy to have expenses and no income. We know that it is common when starting a blog to have expenses for months before seeing any income, but it looks suspicious to the IRS.

Instead you might consider accumulating these expense and deducting them as start-up expenses in the year the business officially begins (i.e., the year it makes income.)

Business Tips and Taxes for Writers Update 2018

Other helpful business tips can be found in my book, Business Tips and Taxes for Writers  (and bloggers!)

It’s been updated to include the new changes to the tax laws!


Carol Topp, CPA

Tags: , , , , ,

One Comment → “No income from your blogging yet? Should you file a tax return?”

  1. […] “Tax Return Tips Every Writer Should Know About“-This post has only 83 words, but each word is powerful. Learn whether or not you should file a tax return and whether you can claim your book expenses alongside your business expenses. I also recommend that you read “Common Tax Mistakes Made by Writers,“ […]


Leave a Reply