Which state do I use for sales tax?

January 24th, 2013 → 8:05 am @


I am reviewing your website as I am a new author and need all the help I can get, especially regarding sales tax and selling books. On tip #13 you write about collecting sales tax from customers that live in your state.

I am a military dependent and we are currently living in Kentucky. However, we claim Texas as our home of record. So, do we collect taxes in the state we live in or the state on record as home?

Thank you for any assistance,


Sales tax depends on “nexus” or where you physically sell the books.

In your case you sell the books from Kentucky, so you must collect and submit KY sales tax.

Carol Topp, CPA

Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.